I write about
"Share knowledge. Its one way to immortality" - Dalai Lama.
Hi! My name is Avinash Karn, I go by Avi. I am very passionate about Agriculture and cutting-edge technologies. I have in-depth knowledge and a rigorous hands on experience in the field of plant breeding, quantitative genetics, computational biology and high-throughput phenotyping for over 10 years now, which I earned during my research work with plant breeders/geneticists, bioinformaticists, pathologist in my undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral career in the United States.
Professional & Academic career:
- Cornell University, New York, USA - 2018-2020 - Computational Biologist (PostDoc)
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Illinois , USA - 2017 - Maize geneticist (Postdoc)
- University of Missouri Columbia, Missouri, USA - 2012–2017 - PhD Maize Breeding, Genetics & Genomics
- Truman State University, Missouri, USA - 2008–2012 - BSc AgSc Plant breeding & Genetics
Professional Expertise: Plant Breeding, Quantitative Genetics, Genomics & Computational Biology
- Plant Breeding: Quantitative Genetics, Genomics, Simulations, Optimization, Population development, Experimental design, Walking Plots/Notes taking, Pollination & Harvesting.
- Programming: R, Python, SQL
- Software: Haploview, TASSEL, MapChart, LepMap, PLINK, PRISM
- Machine Learning: Regression, Classification, Clustering and Time Series
- Database Systems: GitHub
- Scripting Languages: PowerShell, Linux, PERL
- Reporting Tool: Spotfire, Tableau
- Laboratory: DNA extraction, DNA library preparation, marker design, PCR, Gel Electrophoresis
Language Skills: Fluent in English, Nepali, Hindi, Maithali, Bhojpuri, and basic Spanish
Selected Research Publications
The Genetic Basis of Anthocyanin Acylation in North American Grapes (Vitis spp.).
Avinash Karn, Luis Diaz-Garcia, Noam Reshef, Cheng Zou, David C. Manns, Lance Cadle-Davidson, Anna Katharine Mansfield, Bruce I. Reisch, and Gavin L. Sacks.
Discovery of the REN11 locus from Vitis aestivalis for stable resistance to grapevine powdery mildew in a family segregating for several unstable and tissue-specific quantitative resistance loci
Avinash Karn, Cheng Zou, Siraprapa Brooks, Jonathan Fresnedo Ramirez, Franka Gabler, Qi Sun, David Ramming, Rachel Naegele, Craig Ledbetter and Lance Cadle-Davidson.
Multiple independent recombinations led to hermaphroditism in grapevine
Cheng Zou, Mélanie Massonnet, Andrea Minio, Sagar Patel, Victor Llaca, Avinash Karn, Fred Gouker, Lance Cadle-Davidson, Bruce Reisch, Anne Fennell, Dario Cantu, Qi Sun, Jason P. Londo (2021)
A rhAmpSeq haplotype strategy targeting the collinear core genome improves marker transferability across a diverse genus Cheng Zou*,Avinash Karn*, Bruce Reisch, Allen Nguyen, Yongming Sun, Yun Bao, Michael S. Campbell, Deanna Church, Stephen Williams, Timothy P. L. Smith, Anne Fennell, Doreen Ware, Jason Londo, Qi Sun and Lance Cadle-Davidson (2020) Nature Communications
Stable QTL for malate levels in ripe fruit and their transferability across Vitis species
Noam Reshef, Avinash Karn, David C Manns, Anna Katharine Mansfield, Lance Cadle-Davidson, Bruce Reisch, Gavin L Sacks(2022)
Fine mapping of leaf trichome density revealed a 747-kb region on chromosome 1 in cold-hardy hybrid wine grape populations
Lu Yin, Avinash Karn, Lance Cadle-Davidson, Cheng Zou, Anna Underhill, Paul Atkins, Erin Treiber, Daniel Voytas, Matthew Clark (2019)
Computational analysis of AmpSeq data for targeted, high-throughput genotyping of amplicons
Jonathan Fresnedo-Ramírez , Shanshan Yang , Qi Sun, Avinash Karn , Bruce I. Reisch, Lance Cadle-Davidson (2019)
Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS) on Disease Resistance in Maize. Shrestha, Vivek, Mani Awale, and Avinash Karn. Springer, Cham, 2019
Genetic Analysis of Teosinte Alleles for Kernel Composition Traits in Maize Karn, Avinash, Gillman, J. D., & Flint-Garcia, S. A. (2017)
Development of Rigorous Fatty Acid Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Quantitation Methods in Support of Soybean Oil Improvement.
Karn, Avinash, Heim, C., Flint-Garcia, S., Bilyeu, K., & Gillman, J. (2016)
Breeding Specialty Starch Maize Using Exotic Genetic Resources for Gene Discovery of Novel Alleles and Modifiers with Materials Generated from the USDA-ARS GEM Project (2011)
Karn, Avinash, Brent Buckner, Diane Janick-Buckner, Mark Campbell, Michael Blanco, Marvin Scott, and Adrienne Moran Lauter.